Monday 18 June 2012

Cape Verde birding in the dunes

Sunday 10th of June 0700HRS walking the malpais and rocky ground south of the hotel.
I follow the beach for half a mile and see nothing.As I approached Ponta Preta four
Whimbrel are calling overhead and land on the beach.
I  manage a shot before the dogs scare them off.
At the rear of the restaurant no sign of yesterdays Kentish plovers.Even the dogs avoid me
as I walk in the dunes.
A pair of Greater Hoopoe Lark oblige I find these birds fascinating only seeing them
in the desert like habitat in Eilat ,Israel many years ago  I still  recalled their song.The
now ubiqutous Black faced finch lark was showing well today and in flight 2 Turnstones flew
over the dunes.
Spent the morning around the pool in the sunshine and on on route to the bar saw Alexanders
Kestrel once more.

After lunch its warmer the blue sky is endless not a cloud in sight,1700 an afternoon
stroll in the dunes for an hour.


An evening in Santa Marie the local town a local band is playing in the street. A meal
at the Odjo Agua hotel where fillet Mignon with Mateus rose all for 70 Euros with fellow
holiday makers ended our last night in Sal.

No comments:

Post a Comment